What precautionary measures are to be taken before piercing a child's ears?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Good Morning Doctor.My baby girl turned 4 months today..We will be getting her ears piereced today.The person from the jewellery store will be be doing the pierecing.She has completed 4 months today.Any special care we need to take before and after?

xxxxxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the thing mentioned below to take care of ear piercing

Detailed Answer:
Hlo

Thanks for choosing this platform

I suggest you the steps to take care before, during and after piercing

1) Be sure that the person who is going to Pierce the ear is experienced
2) Check whether he cleans his hands properly with soap and also ask him to clear the baby's ear lobes with antiseptic solution before and after piercing
3)Most of the time pain of piercing is mild only and does not need any specific medication
4) I suggest you to put gold earrings as gold is the least allergic for most of the babies
5) Keep the earring in the hole for at least 1 month otherwise the hole will get healed
6) Use some antibiotic ointment daily over the pierced area and also move the earring gently at the same time

All these measures help in preventing the infection.
I hope this would be helpful.
Please let me know if you have any more doubt.
All the best and regards