Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

134 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What natural remedies effectively treat blood circulation and tight muscles due to spastic diplegia?

Answered by
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 2838 Questions

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello, my 11 year old son has a mild case of CP - spastic diplegia and am looking for natural substances to help (fish oil, echinacia, ginger) with blood circulation and muscle relaxing ... He receives PT 2-3 x per week, has been injected with botox several times throughout his life, which they are now wanting to use Dysport, but I prefer not to. We are starting an Epsom salt foot soak today and we were fitted for new foot braces yesterday at the Shriner's Hospital in XXXXXXX Ky. We discussed our plan with his orthopedic doctor also yesterday and he thought it was fine but gave no advice on alternative medicine ... We will be visiting him again in 6 months for follow-up. His current ambulatory status is independent but he does need crutches for running, etc. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated ... Thank you ...
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

The natural remedies are not proven to be effective muscle relaxant

Detailed Answer:


The natural remedies you mentioned in the question are not scientifically proven to improve circulation or relax muscles. There is not enough data available.

However, you can safely give him these natural supplements.

Continue physical therapy and discuss with his treating physician the need for Dysport. His physician can assess the muscle rigidity and recommend you on the need for Dysport.

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care

Dr Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on