What medications are effective at treated diarrhoea in a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 5 Sep 2018 in Child Health
Question: hi Doctor, my son is 5 years 10 months old. he suddenly had loose motion yesterday. he passed loosed stool around 4 times. should I give any medicine? regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:

ORS is the mainstay of treatment.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. Most often children suffer from viral infections which make them pass loose watery stools.

The cause does not need to be treated and is self-limiting. But the lost water and salts need to be replenished. ORS (oral rehydration solution) is the mainstay of treatment and needs to be given.

If the child is otherwise active and playful you need not worry.

Also, give curd or yoghurt since it contains plenty of beneficial bacteria and should help. Give zinc supplements like Zinconia Syr 10 ml once daily for the next 10 days.

You need not worry. It should gradually return back to normal.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
thanks doctor. he has already passed loose stools 3 times today as well. when do you think he should be fine. he is getting little tummy ache and then at times wetting his pant as well. any food restrictions as well that I need to take care.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Proper hydration needs to be ensured.

Detailed Answer:

Does not really matter. You just need to ensure proper hydration. You can give the Decolic syrup. For the tummy aches. You need to be patient. It may take a couple of days to subside.

Brief Answer:

Thanks for the update.

Detailed Answer:

Glad to know that he is better today. The condition should fully recover over the next 2-4 days.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 days later
thank you so much doctor. avik is much better today. I had actually stopped milk and eggs. shall I give him or you think I should wait until he is fully fine?