Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

What is the treatment for dry skin looking like snake skin?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
Hi sir my sister's total body is having full dry skin which looks like snake skin by birth she is 12years old.we have consulted so many doctors but no use from 12years. Please suggest what to do. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Apply daily an emollient. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Dry skin with scales like that of snake is seen in people with a dermatological condition known as Icthyosis. It is a skin disorder of cornification(keratinization). It is an inherited and familial condition of skin. It is a life lasting condition but it can be controlled by applying emollient or a lubricant over the skin. Scaling may be decreased by daily application of an emollient or a lubricant containing urea, salicylic acid, or an alpha hydroxyl acid such as lactic acid. The important thing is regular and daily application of emollient over the skin to make it moist and hydrated so that the scaling will diminished. Therefore I suggest you to contact a dermatologist for clinical examination and for prescription of topical emollient or lubricant. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor