What is the dosage of Sumatriptan for acute migraine?
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.
Both Rizatriptan and Sumatriptan belong to the same triptan group. The dosages for different drugs vary, meaning that the dose needed for a similar effect (and side effect rate) for one is not the same as for the other, should not expect the dosage of Rizatriptan to be the same.
The available dosages for Rizatriptan are 5mg and 10mg. For Sumatriptan there are 25 mg, 50 mg and 100 mg.
So 100 mg can be taken if nothing else available, plenty of patients use that dose.
However since the lowest dose of Rizatriptan was enough for you, I agree one should try to use the lowest dose of Sumatriptan first, only if that is not effective can raise to 100 mg. So I would ask the pharmacy for at least the 50mg form if not the 25mg. Only if there really are no other alternatives (you can ask for other triptans as well, such as Zolmitriptan) you have to stick with 100 mg.
In terms of expectations I have to warn you though that sometimes effectiveness may vary in individual patients for different triptans, even though in the same group it may happen that for individual patients one triptan is more effective than the other whatever the dosage.
I remain at your disposal for other questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Sumatriptan injections for migraine headaches
- Verapamil dosage for migraine
- Depakote dosage for migraines
- Had migraines prescribed topirimate what is the dosage
- Amitriptyline dosage for migraines
- Taking sumatriptan for migraines now vomiting and dizzy thyroid
- Sumatriptan drugs for migraines
- Imitrex for migraines dosage
- Nortriptyline dosage for migraine prevention
- What is a migraine