What is the cause of bilateral hand and wrist pain?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: what is the main cause of bilateral hand and wrist pain. had emg test said normal no x-ray or blood work done. have loss in hand strength and dexterity. doing physical therapy on hands and wrist. when lift object with left arm get shooting pain that goes to the elbow very stumped. doc said that it is more likely do to repetitive motion. can you help shed some light on this. thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 47 minutes later

Some of the most common causes of pain in the wrist and hand area include rheumatoid arthritis and hand pain.

Repetitive strain injury (RSI) is a syndrome incorporating several discrete conditions associated with activity-related arm pain such as tendinitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, stenosing tenosynovitis.

The most-often prescribed treatments for early-stage repetitive strain injury include drug therapies such as anti-inflammatory medications combined with passive forms of physical therapy such as rest, splinting, massage .

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.