What is best for colic in babies?

Pediatrician
Question
My baby is 16 months old and sleeps XXXXXXX 2-3 hrs at stretch. From past 2 months she wakes up around 1:15 - 1:30 am and cries loudly this is happening almost daily. This goes on till 3-4 am and then she sleeps peacefully. Any suggestions on how to make her sleep. She is very demanding and throws tantrums. We are now sleep deprived. Please suggest
Mon, 11 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to night terrors

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns.

Incidentally, your complaint is not unique and numerous parents have the same complaint. It is very common for even the best of sleepers to suddenly start having sleep problems, whether that means having a hard time falling asleep at bedtime or abruptly waking up during the night. She can be experiencing a new sleep cycle and needs to re-learn how to fall back asleep.

Alternatively, she may be having night terrors. A night terror is a sleep disruption that seems similar to a nightmare but is far more dramatic. These are not a usual cause of concern or a sign of a deeper medical issue.

There is no treatment for night terrors, but you can help prevent them. Try to:
* reduce your child's stress
* create a bedtime routine that's simple and relaxing
* make sure your child gets enough rest
* help your child from becoming overtired
* do not let your child stay up too late

If your child has a night terror around the same time every night, you can try waking her up about 15–30 minutes before then to see if that helps prevent it.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: What is best for colic in babies? 40 hours later
We are trying as per your suggestion. Will update you tomorrow on the same.

She is having dry cough. can you suggest some medicine?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation is the mainstay of treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Most often such symptoms including croup are due to viral infections. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. Such infections are usually associated with an allergic component and giving Montair LC Kid (monteleukast + levocetirizine, prescription medicine) should help. Cetirizine is an over the counter alternative that can also be given instead.

If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion and thereby the cough. Just sit with the child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.

Let me know if I could help further.