What food should be given to a 7 month baby?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: what food should be given to 7 month baby.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing this platform

For 7 month old child continue the breastfeed as often as the child want.Proper weaning should be done with introduction of complementary feeds for proper growth of the baby.
Introduce one item at a time with introduction of next item after an interval of 3-4 days.This interval feeds helps to understand if baby is intolerant to any feed and that item should be with held for few days.
With milk you can give one katori serving of mashed roti,bread,biscuit,mixed in sweetened undiluted milk or these can also be mixed in thick dal with added ghee.You may start with dal ka pani and gradually make it thickened.
khichri can also be given with ghee,apart from this XXXXXXX halwa,kheer,sevian prepared in milk should be given. You can add fruits like banana,cheecko , XXXXXXX papaya,mashed boiled apple as snacks in between.
Give 3 major meals with 2-3 snacks in between.
Avoid giving cow milk and egg till one year of age.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 21 hours later
Hello Doc,
have couple of other questions.. !

Mother milk is limited now, is there any home remedy to increase the mother milk?
Can we continue Bufflao packet milk as alternate?
Is banana cause for cold for children?
Can we give Biscuite? If yes, without Maida Biscuite??
When can we start giving Rice to 7 month child?
also, is there any specific reason to avoid cow milk??

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Complementary food should be given

Detailed Answer:
Thanks again for follow up

After 6 months of age the mother milk only is not sufficient to meet the demand of baby.Maximum milk production occurs at age of 6 month.After 6 month baby continues to grow so complementary feed should be started.
Cow milk contains a protein which can cause allergy,feed intolerance and abdominal discomfort.Various studies shows that babies who have taken cow milk before the age of one year have increased chances of getting allergic disorder later on.
You may give biscuit(maida/aata)and banana to the baby.Banana does not causes cold but it should be avoided in babies suffering from cough(as it may stimulate cough receptor in some). XXXXXXX milk contains high amount of protein and fat.Baby may not tolerate the milk so it should be avoided.
You may give rice to the baby at this age.
I suggest you to continue the breast milk and give complementary feed to meet the nutritional demand of baby.