question-icon

What energy supplements are safe to consume with milk by an elderly person?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jul 2019
Question: Hi, My Grand Mother is having age of 93. She is under medication for bp and diabetes. Both are in control currently. However from past 1 week she reduced the intake of food saying that she had stomach pain. she is back to normal however her food intake is reduced considerably. can you please suggest some energy supplement / drinks to mix with milk to keep her healthy irrespective of the food quantity she takes in. best regards, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX k
Answered by Dr. Shyam B. Kale (38 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Energy, protein, mineral and vitamin supplements.

Detailed Answer:

At present she has no any complaints, it's good. As far as possible you try to give all types of foods, fruits, vegetables. You can give egg, milk addition to that.

As an energy supplement, you can give syp. Zincovit which provide minerals and vitamins. Proteinex powder with milk as a protein supplement.

Glucon D as an instant energy supplement. You can give tab. shelcal D for calcium and vit. D supplementation.

You can add omega 3 tablets for triglyceride control and better joint mobility. As your mother has both diabetes and hypertension, so give these supplements on the right dosage and at the right time, because they may derange sugar level.

Most of these are prescription medicine, so consult with family physician.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Shyam B. Kale, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Shyam B. Kale