What does this ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,
I had follow up scan on 6th at 8weeks+4 which showed:
- Single irregular-shaped uterine gestational sac
- Small embryo notes within - CRL 3.3mm but no fetal HR seen or heard
- No appropriate growth since last scan (2.2mm on 28.11.17, HR was 50bpm) Collapsing amnion notes within gestational sac
- Bleeding within the sac is also evident
- Adsense - NAD

I know that I have lost the baby and am awaiting medical management on Monday. Baby was via IVF and I have stopped all medications as advised but still no bleeding. Embryo was PGD/PGS as have Mitocondrial disease so I know embryo was normal. Just wondering possible causes for the slow development, bleeding and collapse?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Subchorionic bleed, undetected chromosomal aberrations possible.

Detailed Answer:
Hello,,

I have gone through the query and also the attached report. It is very unfortunate that you lost the pregnancy.

The exact cause of the arrest of pregnancy can be known through a histopathological and genetic exam of the embryo and the other products.

Though PGS can detect most of the genetic disorders, a few may be missed. This is one possibility.

Subchorionic bleed may have occurred and could be another possible cause, reasons being a possible trauma, infections, hormone imbalances etc.

Once the pregnancy is arrested, collapse of the sac occurs as the embryo shrinks.

Hope you find this information useful. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj