question-icon

What does severe pain in the talus bone of the feet indicate despite no injury?

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018
Question: I had a severe pain on what seems to me is the talus bone of my left foot. I went to the emergency clinic and they touched it and said they could not find any thing wrong with it. I had not injured it or anything. I just woke up with the pain one morning. I couldn’t put my foot down without a lot of pain. It got better for a bit. I just woke up with the pain again. Very painful. What can it be.? A tendon under it? A ligament? I do not have any injury though. I can hardly walk....
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel (23 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Could be plantar fasciitis or medial arch sprain in foot.

Detailed Answer:

Your description points to pain in heel region generally ( called plantar fasciitis) but the picture corresponds to mid foot.

It is possible that you may be having medial arch sprain ( the soft tissues which maintain the concavity of foot on medial side).

I suggest pain killers ,Medial Arch support in shoes , local heat for 8-10 days and in there is no improvement then go for X-ray of the foot and heel.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Gopal Goel, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon