What does severe pain in the talus bone of the feet indicate despite no injury?

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a severe pain on what seems to me is the talus bone of my left foot. I went to the emergency clinic and they touched it and said they could not find any thing wrong with it. I had not injured it or anything. I just woke up with the pain one morning. I couldn’t put my foot down without a lot of pain. It got better for a bit. I just woke up with the pain again. Very painful. What can it be.? A tendon under it? A ligament? I do not have any injury though. I can hardly walk....
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Could be plantar fasciitis or medial arch sprain in foot.

Detailed Answer:

Your description points to pain in heel region generally ( called plantar fasciitis) but the picture corresponds to mid foot.

It is possible that you may be having medial arch sprain ( the soft tissues which maintain the concavity of foot on medial side).

I suggest pain killers ,Medial Arch support in shoes , local heat for 8-10 days and in there is no improvement then go for X-ray of the foot and heel.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Gopal Goel, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad