What does purple swelling on the hand indicate?

Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

Posted on Thu, 16 Mar 2017 in Veins and Arteries
Question: I woke up last week with the fingers on my right hand purple and swollen the next day it went away then this morning I woke up with the same thing only my right hand both times.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ok

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on HealthcareMagic.
Does it happen only in the morning? Any other symptoms like burning, tingling or numbness?
By the picture it looks like there is a compromise in the circulation in that area.
Do you smoke?
Nevertheless you have to be investigated I recommend you to get a doppler of the right upper limb done both arterial and venous.
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 9 hours later
No it's all day. It's been like this for 2 days this time I just happen to notice it when I woke up in the morning. This is the second time this has happened. The last time it lasted for a almost a week, this time it has been 2 days so far. My arm all the way up is numb and tingly. like little stick pins. It's strange sensation. I notice I feel very tired too. No I do not smoke.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ok

Detailed Answer:
Hello again, based on your description venous and arterial doppler is all the more warranted .
Please get it done as soon as possible so that we can proceed with the treatment.
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad