What does pleural lipoma in the second intercostal space with stripes on top indicate?

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 26 Nov 2018 in Cancer
Question: I have a pleural lipoma in the second intercostal space with stripes on top. What can this be? male, 58y, 1.75m, 80kg
Answered by Dr. Monish De 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:

It is a benign soft tissue tumour

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your report.

As you are having a pleural lipoma in second intercostal space with stripes on top you do not need to worry much as it is a benign soft tissue tumour of the pleura.

These are encapsulated fatty tumours with a slow growth rate.

I would advise you to clinical check up and CT scan of chest every 3 months if you are asymptomatic.

If it is symptomatic then you have to do a biopsy test followed by resection of the pleural lipoma by a cardiothoracic surgeon.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Monish De, Oncologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad