What does a hard mole-like growth on the side of my neck indicate?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Thu, 4 Oct 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hello. I have a small mole like growth on the side of my neck. it's hard and rough. it's been there for some time now.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need consultation and investigations -earlier the better.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query. I understand your concern.

Moles are clusters of melanocytes (cells having black pigment) growing together. They can appear at any stage of life or maybe there since birth. They are regular in shape- round or oval-shaped, could be flat or raised. Most of the times they are benign (not malignant), not harmful in nature.

But in case they show sudden changes in shape (getting irregular)/changes in color/starts getting crusted out or it gets more than 6 mm in size. It needs to be examined by a doctor for excluding melanoma.

* In your case, though nothing else but only the hard and rough feeling and probably color (looking at the photo you had sent) concerns me a bit. I would suggest for consultation of your family doctor for detailed physical examination and referral to expert skin specialist/oncologist as per need. As exclusion (the best-desired outcome) or an early diagnosis counts much in the management of the condition.

Please get examined and investigated earliest for prevention and best treatment results.

I hope that helps you.

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana