What do brown spots on lower abdomen indicate?

Dr. Karen Steinberg

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: have a 17 yr old daughter whom resulted with some brown spots on her left side lower abdomen and also her left side of her by after going to the water park a day prior I would like to know if this is something I should be worried .Please Advise
Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably OK but hard to know for sure

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for using Healthcare Magic. It's hard to be certain without seeing the spots and knowing a bit more history. If she's feeling okay and nothing is progressing, it's probably nothing to worry about. It's possible she might have picked up a skin fungus infection or just gotten some uneven tanning from being in the sun at the water park.

For now, if she's not complaining about any pain or itching and she's otherwise okay, I would just keep an eye on it. If there is any change, she should see her doctor so it can be examined. If you are especially concerned, you could upload some pictures of the spots. I could look at them and see if it looks like anything serious. Also let me know if she is experiencing any symptoms like a cold or virus. Rashes can sometimes develop with a virus and maybe this is what's happening.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further questions, I would be happy to answer them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D