What could be the cause of fluctuating Blood Pressure?

Posted on Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My father is 63 years old and last 20 years he has variable high blood pressure during a day. It goes so high and suddenly blood pressure goes down. He uses medications for high blood pressure but the biggest issue that his blood pressure varies during the day and it is so exhausting for him. He is not able to walk and usually finishes in ER
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Can you provide the values and the list of drugs? Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this fluctuating blood pressure values that your father has been experiencing. My greatest suspicion is maybe he is taking too many drugs that drop the blood pressure rapidly after intake or there is an interaction between these medications that accounts for this. Please provide a list of all his medications and the various doses. Also, give me an idea of the different times of the day that he has these low blood pressures as well as the blood pressure readings. I will try to identify what the possible cause of this sudden changes in blood pressure could be. I hope this helps. Hoping to hear from you soon. Dr. Ditah, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Chobufo Ditah