What causes waist pain and stomach distention after taking Postinor 2?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2014
Mar 2014
Excellent
Question
hi Doc,

I took postinor 2 both tablets at once about a month ago and though I have had my menses on the 16 july, I have had severe waist pains and my tummy keeps growing bigger even though I do not feel any sign of pregnancy?
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

If you had a normal period after taking the tablets then the reason for increase in the tummy size is unlikely to be due to pregnancy.

However sometimes women have bleeding that mimicks periods during early pregnancy called implantation bleed and it is better to rule this out by doing a urine pregnancy test by an early morning sample of urine.

If it is negative then get evaluation by a doctor for a cause and you may also need an ultrasound of the abdomen. Most common cause of growing tummy is fat. So please check if you have changed your food pattern and have taken more calories in the form of fried or sweet food.

Another reason for tummy growth is collection of fluid but usually such patients are very sick and you seem to be asymptomatic. In addition there are too many other causes which it is not possible to discuss until an examination is performed.

So as of now, get a urine pregnancy test done to be on the safer side and if it is negative, see a doctor and get examined for cause.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist