What causes tortuous abdominal aorta?

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am 74 years of age. Was diagnosed with an abdominal aorta tortuous to the left. Now my right leg has been shrinking. Are the 2 issues related?
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely not related!

Detailed Answer:

Aortic tortousity in general has nothing to do with shrinkage of your leg.Only thing that can be related is that in case blood supply to leg is hampered due to distortion of aorta. I would order a doppler of the affected limb done. This will allow us study blood flow of the limb. If blood flow is normal it's not at all related to aortic problem.

Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad