Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes the presence of black specs in urine?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Hello, i had a uti a few weeks back and got I.t treated i peed today and notice little black specs in pee on about 3
Then peed again noticed 1
So i took I.t out of the toilet and it’s a tiny spec kind of hard. Please help
18 y/o female. Thank you
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a small urinary stone

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .
Hard tiny speck tht yo have passed in urine after having UTI is most likely a urinary stone .

This can be confirmed by submitting the speck in laboratory for analysis so that further measures can be taken to prevent recurrence of stone formation .

In the mean time you can continue taking antibiotics for coupe of days ..

Ensure to drink more water .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What causes the presence of black specs in urine? 9 hours later
Hello, so i peed 3 times this morning and no black flakes. Could this just be something passing through? Or should i still worry about It?

I also finished my uti medication a week after I.t was given. So i am finished with medication. No pain at all though.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is mostly a urinary stone

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

The black hard speck can not be any thing else than stone .If you have preserved it send it in laboratory for analysis .If you have thrown it forget about it .

Drink more water to prevent recurrence of stone .

Thanks and Regards.
dr.Patil.