What causes tender reddened nose and dry throbbing nasopharynx episodes?

Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I'm a RN, having worked nursing homes, etc. I'm am now experiencing a reddened nosed that is tender to the touch. Red with capillary refill that makes me think of infection. I don't have a cold or discharge from the nares. I have had dry, throbbing, nasopharnyx episodes for several years, yet now, this external symptom.
I am applying mupircin w/ q-tips & externally to the skin of my nose tip, starting today BID x 10 days,
Pinching the nares together & massaging for 1 minute, to work in the ointment both internally and to the skin. The nose appears as sunburn or windburn with certain pores most tender.
Thanks for what you do - XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nasal Vestibular Furunculosis Treatment

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans-Nasal Vestibulitis with Furunculosis

Hi,Thanks for your query to HCM.
Based on the facts of your query,You have a very classical -Rudolph Sign-indicating
Nasal Vestibulitis with Furunculosis.
This has been the result of your old/earlier- throbbing nasopharynx episodes.

Your main health concern is the " fear of R/T MRSA infection " as suggested by the recent redness of the nose"
Your health concern is right as you are using 1 yr old mupirocin oint.

Answer- to your current question- Is this recent external reddening of the nose is due to R/T MRSA bacteria?

In my opinion The recent reddening is not the indication of the R/T MRSA.
But is due to the Muco-cuatneous infection from Staph Aureus,which has caused furunculitis of the Vestibules,and of the skin of the Tip.
Treatment with Mupirocin-intranasally in the nares would control the mucocutaneous infection with edema.
Don't pinch and rub your nose tip,to avoid the risk of complications like opthalmic vein thrombosis.
Use Dicloxacillin for the painful tip lumps for the full 5 days course.
Anti-inflammatory and
if need by Chymotrypsin would recover the redness and the vestibulitis early.

Hope this would resolve your query.
Will appreciate your writing excellent feedback review,if you are satisfied with this answer,to help the visiting patients like you at HCM.

Good Day!!

Dr.Savaskar, XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar