question-icon

What causes swelling in the cheeks?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017
Question: swollen cheek blood and pus pop out between inner cheek and him line at jaw line not teeth
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora (28 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Looks like infection..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

It looks like infection only and seeing condition of your teeth it looks like tooth infection and as the infection must be below the root tips of the tooth that is why you can see pus and blood discharge from the gum line..

I would suggest you to get an x ray done to rule out the exact cause of the pus discharge..

For now you can consult an Emergency room and get a course of antibiotics for reducing infection and pus discharge..
Also start gargling with warm saline solution and antiseptic mouthwash solution.
Do cool compresses over the cheek..

Please let me know for more queries..

Hope this helps..

Regards..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist