Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

195 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes sudden loss of consciousness?

Answered by
Dr. Olsi Taka


Practicing since :2004

Answered : 3356 Questions

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: What would be the cause of a person to pass out for only 1 second? As soon as they hit the floor they're awake and totally cognizant of what happened.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Two main possibilities.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

One main possibility would be that of a drop in blood pressure with insufficient blood supply to the brain. Low blood pressure in itself can have different origins. The main one to investigate would be that of a heart arrhythmia which may cause insufficient blood pumping to the brain. If episodes happened when changing position from supine to standing orthostatic hypotension would be another possibility.

The other main possibility to be considered would be that of a seizure. Seizures can come in different forms, not necessarily with convulsions, an atonic seizure with immediate loss of muscle tone and loss of consciousness may manifest this way.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on