What causes streaks and flashes of light in the line of vision of the right eye?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 30 May 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have been seeing streaks or flashes of light to the right of my right eye. It started before bed last night and was not apparent today until I went out in the dark when it started again.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do get a retinal examination done.

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.

This may not happen again. This may be due to vitreous detachment, which is inconsequential and happens with advancing years. This may also be due to changes in the retinal periphery, which is important and has to be followed.

I'd suggest getting a retinal examination appointment and in the meantime avoid doing heavy exertion and exercise.

Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee