What causes shoulder blade pain after lifting heavy weights?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 19 Jul 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hey,
I’m used to a hard workout. However, last weekend after working out I had severe muscle soreness in my neck that lasted a week. Then just this past weekend I carried 2 fairly heavy bags on my left shoulder and I’m having excruciating pain in my left shoulder blade all the way through to the other side of my chest. Could this be due to an illness or simply to too much inflammation in my body? Just getting nervous about this since I need to go to work tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Thank you, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral muscle relaxants can help.

Detailed Answer:
The pain that you are having is likely to be due to a muscle spasm due to a heavy exercise or lifting weights to which your body was not used to.
Treatment is done by
Rest
Hot compress of painful muscles
For pain,take anti inflammatory drugs and local gel. In case the pain persists then do consult an orthopedician to rule out any muscle tear and get proper oral muscle relaxants prescribed.
Stretching of muscles after acute pain subsides
Full recovery may take 3 to 6 weeks.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal