question-icon

What causes severe shaking and cold sensation following an infusion of Vancomycin?

Posted on Thu, 7 Mar 2019
Question: My husband is having severe shaking and is freezing cold following an infusion of Vanc. When thia happens his BP drops and o2 sat drops ? What cases this and can it be prevented ?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (29 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
THey should slow the rate of the infusion!

Detailed Answer:

This is referred to as ed man syndrome. It can be prevented by passing Vancomycin slowly. Recommend this to the nurses and all will be well. Benadryl and ranitidine can be used if symptoms set in. Ideally, the infusion should be passed at 1/2 the initial rates of the infusion that

Hope I have answered your query.

I wish your husband well.

Dr. Ivo Ditah, Internal Medicine Specialist
Dr. Ivo Ditah