What causes sensation of missed heartbeat when suffering from asthma?

Dr. Sukhvinder Singh

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: 32 year old single female with asthma, previously had sensation of missed heartbeat which never created a problem. Today, I was sitting relaxed in a lecture when I suddenly had a very strong heartbeat, followed by a sensation that my heart is not beating right and feeling lightheaded with difficulty in breathing for about half a minute. I thought I would black out, then the beat returned to normal but was very fast for another half a minute or so. This thing happened around 1 and half hours ago and now I have chest pain. Do I suffer from a heart condition?
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Dear madam
The patients of asthma and those taking medicines for asthma are prone to heart rhythm abnormalities originating in atria (blood receiving Chambers of heart). Such abnormalities may be occasional and may not require treatment or may serious/ persistent. Since you felt like passing out and currently have pain, you must visit emergency room. Any ongoing chest pain deserves evaluation.
The work up of heart rhythm disorder will depend upon baseline ECG and clinical examination.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder