• question-icon

What causes radiating pain in shoulders and upper arms while sleeping?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Both of my shoulder are very painful when moving, sleeping is difficult. The pain radiates down my upper arms. I have had Mri's one showing cystalic change in the bone. My GP has indicated my need to see a surgeon regarding shoulder replacement. How major is this procedure, and how long to get back to use of my arms.
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
joint replacement is a major procedure

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome to HCM.
This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
First of all, I would ask you to send me the xrays and MRI of shoulder so that I can have a look. Also, as your GP has suggested, consultation with an orthopedician is essential before you undergo any procedure. So I would suggest you to visit an orthopedic surgeon.
Now, if it finally comes to shoulder replacement, it being a joint replacement is definitely a major procedure. But these are done regularly now-a-days and basic mobilisation of the arm is allowed by 2-3 weeks depending on the post operative status and the type of replacement i.e. partial or total. By 3 months, normal activies are regained however some restrictions do persist. Your surgeon will definitely guide you through the rehabilitation.

Hope this helps.
Kindly get back with the reports.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta