What causes persistent sore throat, acid reflux and throat irritation?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 11 Jun 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: For the last 5 months I am having sore throat. I have visited multiple ENT specialist and Gastroenterology specialists. Initially I was detected to have H. Pylori and endoscopy report showed mild gastritis. Doctor told me of acid reflux. I was given azirthomycin 7 days and Parriet (rabeprazol 40 mg) for one week. I made my my head side up by 6 inches and stopped eating spicy, citus, carbonated food and even stopped tea and coffee.

I went to another ENT specialist who had done fibre optic laryngeoscopy (FOL) which said some observations like DNS right with spur, GERD feature, chonsabullosa, sinonasal disease, vocal cord odematus gerd features etc. (please see the reports). he prescribed me some medicin like anti inflammatory, mucain and omeprazole etc. He told me my nasal duct blockage (picture attached) and advised me surgery. He even told me that since I am living in a dusty city (in Dubai) hence will have some allergic issues.

Now after six month, I am still having my sore throat. One of my previous doctor told me to CT PNS scan. it came more or less normal only showing DNS. Whenever, I wake up in the morning I have some dryness in my throat and constantly there are some mild irritation in my throat. When i give presentation or speak for long time, i feel pain in my throat. Sometimes my throat lymph nodes are swollen. I am scared of cancer although all my doctors said negative about it after physical as well as after fibric optic laryngeoscopy or endoscopy. My recent test showed negative H. pylori. My C- reactive protein is 1.2. My entire blood work is normal.
I want to know whether I have to live my rest of life like this throat irritation ? Is it curable or not? Do you consider that anything susceptible to throat cancer? Presently taking omeprazole 20 mg in breakfast and mucaine. please suggest me any advice to remove from this.....thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 34 hours later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The cause of the dryness and chronic laryngitis seems o be a combination of acid reflux (congestion in the larynx), a post nasal drip (granular pharyngitis) nasal obstruction and mouth breathing during snoring.

2. You do not have any sinusitis and the rest of the CT is fine. The inferior turbinate hypertrophy may be treated.

3. It is not only the gastric acid, but also reflux of digestive enzymes and bile that irritates the throat. I would recommend a trial with other anti-reflux medications such as esomeprazole rabeprazole, pantoprazole. A gut motility enhancer such as domperidone or levosulpiride will help reduce your throat irritation.

4. Cancer is not even a remote risk for you at present.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 12 hours later
Dear Dr, Bhatti,

Request you to please see my attached reports of Fibre optic laryngeoscopy. There were lots of medical terminologies. Is these serious, please advice me....
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for worry.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, I have gone through all your reports including the Fibre Optic Laryngoscopy in detail.

2. I have left out the insignificant findings in my answer.

3. None of these findings are serious or a cause for concern. They are extremely common.

4. Just follow the treatment plan described in my previous answer and you will feel better in a few weeks.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.