What causes panting and breathing difficulty after walking?

Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jul 2014 in Heart Failure
Question: Yesterday I walked 50 feet to my exercise class mand took 4-5 minutes to regain normal breath. It persists so that just walking slowly a dozen feet l79331eaves me panting. I am planning to board our trawler and spend two weeks in Canadian waterways. Is there a wqy to find what's wrong? Is my trip safe?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You may have to reconsider your trip.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. From the information you have given it would appear that your exercise ability is severely reduced. If this has suddenly happened then I suggest you need to see a doctor fairly soon. The problem could be related to either your heart or lungs. I note you are awaiting a call from your cardiac doctor. I suggest that you see this doctor for a full assessment. I would expect you will have to undergo various investigations including bloods, ECG and echo. Depending on the results and the advice from the cardiac doctor you may have to reconsider your trip.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA