What causes painful burning sensation in the ball of the foot?

Question
The ball of my foot (mostly the right foot) gets a terrible, painful, burning sensation after wearing shoes for awhile. It does not matter the type of shoe I am wearing. Hurts when wearing sneakers, flats, small heel, high heel, boots, etc. I have tried several types of "ball of the foot" inserts to no avail.
Can you please help!
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Irritation due to excessive pressure

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. The pain on the ball of the foot can be generally due to two different causes, however cause may be the same.
It could be a condition called Morton’s neuroma, which is irritation of a nerve running between the 3rd and 4rth toe. It is caused by excessive pressure on the ball of the foot due to long years of intensive physical activity or high heel wearing.
Alternatively, it could be Sesamoiditis, that is irritation of tiny bones running under the tendon of the big toe. This condition is also caused by long standing excessive pressure on the area.

The solution, except for rest, avoiding long walks and anti inflammatory pain killers such as Advil, is custom made pads designed to relieve pressure on the specific area, depending on the area involved, that is, either pressure relief and separation of tendons under the big toe, or between the third and fourth metatarsals.

I hope this answers your question. You are welcome to ask further questions.

Wishing you good health and all the best.