What causes painful ankle swelling while on Warfarin?

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Thu, 18 Oct 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Right ankle, slightly swollen and painful to touch the bone. worse lying down. Happened 2 days ago. Just finished course of Tamiflu. Started after driving auto first time for 4 days. I take 4mg Warfrin daily for Afib.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Both Warfarin and Ibuprofen, produce increased bleeding tendency. Therefore, it is likely that the ankle swelling is due to bleeding into the joint. The minor trauma produced by the driving can be a precipitating cause.

It would be good to have yourself examined by a doctor and have yourself examined. In the meanwhile, it would be good to stop the Warfarin and ibuprofen and to rest the joint.Do get back to me if you have further queries.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Noble Zachariah,