What causes pain and spasms in the rib cage?

Dr. Varinder Joshi

Posted on Fri, 24 Aug 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question:

I have an anterior rib spasms (to right of sternum and top of descending rib cage, when I press it, I feel a lump moving along side it. (a month ago I had severe spasms and pain in my anterior rib cage which my doctor said was fibromyalgia, I saw a rheumatologist and he agreed, my immune tests were abnormal but none of them meant anything). I never had it in my rib cage before, the posterior ribs are getting better but this new thing in the anterior rib is strange.I took magnesium and a light drink but am curious about it.

what is the treatment? I do get regular massages from Asian people at the mall and it helps a great deal but with the rib cage I couldn't get deep tissue massage for past 3 months, so stopped going, plan to go back in a week or two as it is subsiding posteriorly. I'm a PhD NP but don't know what to do about this strange muscle spasm.
Your input is greatly appreciated. I specialize in psychiatry (sub-specialty in neurology but mostly people with TBI, dementia, Parkinson's, MS, Lupus, etc.) along with a chronic and severe mental illness, I treat the MI but make recommendations to the treating specialist/medical provider.

Answered by Dr. Varinder Joshi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take muscle relaxant

Detailed Answer:

Hello

Please take muscle relaxant as Aceclofenac two times plus tab Chlorzoxone or Tizanidine two times .
Other option is take help of physiotherapist as he may suggest some exercises to relieve muscle spasm.

Take Care!

Dr. Varinder Joshi ,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng