Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

196 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes pain and spasms in the rib cage?

Answered by
Dr. Varinder Joshi

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1999

Answered : 2409 Questions

Posted on Fri, 24 Aug 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

I have an anterior rib spasms (to right of sternum and top of descending rib cage, when I press it, I feel a lump moving along side it. (a month ago I had severe spasms and pain in my anterior rib cage which my doctor said was fibromyalgia, I saw a rheumatologist and he agreed, my immune tests were abnormal but none of them meant anything). I never had it in my rib cage before, the posterior ribs are getting better but this new thing in the anterior rib is strange.I took magnesium and a light drink but am curious about it.

what is the treatment? I do get regular massages from Asian people at the mall and it helps a great deal but with the rib cage I couldn't get deep tissue massage for past 3 months, so stopped going, plan to go back in a week or two as it is subsiding posteriorly. I'm a PhD NP but don't know what to do about this strange muscle spasm.
Your input is greatly appreciated. I specialize in psychiatry (sub-specialty in neurology but mostly people with TBI, dementia, Parkinson's, MS, Lupus, etc.) along with a chronic and severe mental illness, I treat the MI but make recommendations to the treating specialist/medical provider.

Answered by Dr. Varinder Joshi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take muscle relaxant

Detailed Answer:


Please take muscle relaxant as Aceclofenac two times plus tab Chlorzoxone or Tizanidine two times .
Other option is take help of physiotherapist as he may suggest some exercises to relieve muscle spasm.

Take Care!

Dr. Varinder Joshi ,
General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on