What causes pain and red discoloration in the bicep area?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Concern for daughter, age 50 yrs. Bicep area is tender, extremely painful with red discoloration. Discoloration appears as a wide band, nearly encircling upper arm. At time of blood draw, patient fainted.

Addl. info: Meds prescribed was antibiotic. No new regular med regimen. Not aware of any allergies.

Additionally: Visited family in LasVegas for approx. 8 days. Has been taking Advil for pain.
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload images

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Perhaps she has developed a bruise. I request you to kindly upload an image of the affected area in "Reports Section" so that I am able to guide you better.

Follow-up: What causes pain and red discoloration in the bicep area? 13 hours later
Lack of personal expertise -- unable to send jpg shot of effected area. Do you have e-mail address to which I might Forward image?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Email ID

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Let me know your email ID. I will get back to you on it.

Follow-up: What causes pain and red discoloration in the bicep area? 1 hour later
Email: YYYY@YYYY

These are 2 photos of my left arm. Very faint redness with the aching of a 6 out of 10. Will go to doc tomorrow. Temp is 99.9. Very tired...

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take an oral anti inflammatory

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. I have viewed the images.
Perhaps this is due to thrombosis of superficial vein. I suggest you to take an oral anti inflammatory e.g tab. Ibuprofen or Tab. Diclofenac, twice daily for 2-4 days.

Follow-up: What causes pain and red discoloration in the bicep area? 5 hours later
Hmmm. Thank you for your considered opinion. Would this condition create such pain, i.e., ...6 on a scale of 10?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I'd suggest you continue taking the oral anti-inflammatory

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Yes, thrombophlebitis is pretty painful. I'd suggest you continue taking the oral anti-inflammatory.

Follow-up: What causes pain and red discoloration in the bicep area? 6 hours later
Thrombophlebitis? Ok. Thank you for your work on our behalf. Will continue with anti-inflammatory. Regards - XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX Thank you for writing to us.