What causes mucus discharge from the eyes of a child?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Aug 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi Doc,
my daughter is 3 yrs old. From past 2 days, lot of mucus is coming from both of her eyes. Color of mucus is usual. Her eyes are also slightly reddish. She is having little cold. is it a matter of concern. When she wakes up, it is difficult for her to open the eyes since the mucus is all over her eye lids. Is there any medicine or eye drop which would help? or any other home treatment?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mucopurulent Conjunctivitis

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.
This is mucopurulent Conjunctivitis.This is a bacterial infection and needs antibiotic drops and ointment.
Wash eyes with plain water in the morning.Put antibiotic drops like moxifloxicin eye drops like moxicip 4 times a day.At bed time apply Tobramycin eye ointment.Continur this for 3to 4 days by the time child is ok.
Take care to avoid transmitting infection to others in the family.This is a contact infection so maintain hygiene.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj