question-icon

What causes mild form of secretory otitis media?

Posted on Tue, 12 May 2015
Question: I have had for the past 3 weeks experienced sudden brief drumming noises in my left ear. Happens maybe 2/hour, lasts second or two. Rapid onset, abrupt stop. Nothing to do with my pulse. I had a blocked nose a month ago but its all clear now and I can pop my ears. hearing seems fine. No dizziness. Doesn't wake me, but annoys the crap out of me. maybe getting more frequent.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma (50 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Suffering from the mild form of secretory otitis media.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your query; and it suggests that you may be suffering from the mild form of secretory otitis media.

In this disease in our patient I personally advised mucolytics, local and systemic nasal decongestant for five days.
If the symptoms persist then you may go for some tests such as

1. Pure tone audiometry.
2. Impedance audiometry.
3. Blood sugar, Hb% and Blood pressure measurements.
To rule out other disease and to reach the near diagnosis

Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist