What causes left arm numbness during sleep?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Back Pain
Question: My left arm has been going numb during my sleep for the past several nights. There appears to be a problem with blood circulation in my left arm and hand. Is this something about which I should be concerned?

Thank you
XXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
maybe nerve compression

Detailed Answer:
If this recover soon after you wake up them it may be caused by nerve compression during the sleep. However,if this happens repeatedly then you should see vascular surgeon first and do angiography to rule out brachial artery stenosis. If this is ruled out then it may be sign of compressive neuropathy and you should see neurologist and neurography should be done.

Wish you good health. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj