What causes heart palpitations in the middle of the night?
I woke up last night with heart palpitations and uncontrollable dry coughing for several hours. I took 20 mgs propanolol for the heart symptoms and sat for an hour to let my chest clear a little. I was able to go back to sleep.
Before bed I took Triumeq (for HIV, well controlled) 50mgs Lamictal (mood), and 2mgs Prazosin (night terrors).
I've been having heart palpitations off and on for 8 months or so. It is strange that I woke up with both the palpitations and the coughing, as I do not have a cold. My eyes are very stinging in the morning also, but I don't have bad seasonal allergies and I've been taking claritin anyway.
Should I be concerned about cardiovascular conditions or dangerous side effects from the Lamictal?
Do get a cardiac examination done.
Thanks for posting your query.
The palpitations in the middle of the night could be due to Lamictal or anxiety or a cardiac problem. Coughing itself can precipitate palpitations. A bout of cough in the absence of allergies can be due to mild throat irritation.
Since the palpitations are recurrent it is best to consult a cardiologist and get a routine check up done to rule out any cardiac disorders.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Heart palpitations caused by gastritis
- Inflammation that causes heart palpitations
- Heart palpitations causing insomnia
- Onion causing heart palpitations
- What can cause heart palpitations
- Heart palpitations caused by sneezing
- Heart palpitations cause coughing
- What causes heart palpitations symptoms
- What is the cause and treatment for heart palpitations
- What causes minor heart palpitations
- Can spinal stenosis cause joints pain and swollen ankle, thighs and knees?
- Having lower back pain with tickling and pulsating sensation. What could...
- MRI of knee showed occult displaced fracture. What is it and what is the...
- What is the cause and treatment for painful knee with walking difficulty?
- Having ump into superclavical. What could the long tube feeling be?
- MRI findings show posterior disc bulges at L5-S1 and L4-5 levels....
- MRI scan shows Lumbar spondylosis. Suggest
- What causes pain in left groin and lower back and how can it be treated?
- Had MRI scan of right ankle and prescribed with zyloric for reduction of...
- What would be the cause of sudden neck pain on one side?