Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

153 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes hard knot in the middle of upper body?

Answered by
Dr. Chobufo Ditah

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 6185 Questions

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had back surgery fusion of 3,4,5 now when I try to walk with out a walker I get a hard knot in the middle of my upper body just above the stomach. What causes this and how to correct this so I can walk straighter
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this fusion surgery and the reported difficulties.

Fusion consists in merging vertebrae together. This prevents you from being able to move the spine as freely as you could before the surgery. The vertebrae involved behave like a single long bone with no flexibility along its length as opposed to the normal flexible and easily movable individual vertebrae. This would have impacts on the range of movements, flexibility, posture, etc.

If you noticed this notch immediately after the surgery, then it is probably related to the procedure. However, if this is a recent finding, I will suggest that you get it examined to make sure it is not a possible complication of the surgery or resulting from the surgical materials used.

I understand the importance of being able to walk straight without a walker but look back and see what the benefits of this procedure have been to you. We give up something to gain another and in spine surgery, we often have to compromise our posture and spine flexibility.

In all, this is probably related to the surgical material used if noticed shortly after surgery or a complication of the procedure if noticed months later. Get it evaluated by your surgeon for the exact diagnosis and available treatment options if available.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on