What causes gurgling sounds from the heart while on AFib, Eliquis and Diltiazem?

Cardiologist
Question
I have A-Fib and take Eliquis as well Diltiazem. Recently I have noticed what sounds like gurgling coming from my heart. Should I be concerned? What is the cause/treatment?
Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms could be related to gastro-esophageal reflux or an irregular heart rhythm.

For this reason, I recommend consulting with your attending physician and performing some tests:

- a resting ECG and cardiac ultrasound
- a chest X ray study
- complete blood count
- blood electrolytes.

I would also recommend trying a PPI (omeprazole, pantoprazole, etc.). If it helps improve your symptoms, this would be another argument in favor of gastroesophageal reflux. In such case fibrogastroscopy would be needed.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri