What causes green bowel movement in a child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi dr.
My son is 3 month old, he is on breast feeding.recently a week before he starts to poop in green color eith a jelly element and slight watery.my pediatrician gave coligyl syrup.it reduces little bit and now again this week it started .he is spitting up and feels little dull.what will be the perfect remedy for this .please suggest me.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Just continue breast feeding. Nothing else needs to be done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Let me assure you that for a child of this age breast milk is the best food. It is normal for a child of this age to pass stool anything between 10 times a day to once in 10 days. Greenish stools occur due to rapid transit of fecal matter through the large intestine where the biliary pigments (green) do not get enough time to get converted to yellow colour of stool. Greenish and jelly like stools are not a cause of concern. If on breast feeding, no extra measures are needed. I do not think that Coligyl needs to be given, especially when the child is finding it unpleasant and is spitting up.

Please do not get concerned as these are normal for a child of this age. Just continue breast feeding. Nothing else needs to be done.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj