question-icon

What causes facial numbness and how can it be treated?

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018
Question: I have been having a numbing sensation on right side of face chin eyelid ear cheek, no drooping my face was a tad bit swollen on that side a few days ago. No slurred speech Iā€™m 32 5ā€™7ā€ 115 lbs
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho (36 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

A local infection to consider.

Detailed Answer:

Since there was swelling on that side of your face, a local infection (dental, sinus infection most notably) may be a possible condition.

The numbness that you are experiencing is most likely caused by the compression of a branch of the trigeminal nerve from the swelling, or direct involvement by the infection.

I'd suggest getting evaluated by your primary care Doctor and by your Dentist about these issues.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Erion Spaho, Neurologist, Surgical
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical