What causes facial flushing after alcohol consumption?

Question
I drank a little small shot glass of coquito a Spanish Christmas drink and a few minutes later my face and ears became red and hot
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Facial vasodilatation

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but this drink induce facial blood vessels vasodilationand facial flushing by two mechanisms .. first it is a high calorie, high carb drink, so it takes a lot of energy to burn and spike blood sugar levels, resulting in dilated blood vessels and a red face.
Also it might contain alcohol, where the histamine and tyramines in alcohol may also cause facial blood vessels vasodilatation causing red and hot face.. However , this should not worry you and shall go away within couple of hours.. I hope you find this helpful. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion..