question-icon

What causes excessive burping and belching after eating and drinking?

Posted on Tue, 4 Sep 2018
Question: Sure. Thank you. I’m a Healthy, Active, fit female with more of an embarrassing thing that’s new. I have developed a burp after every time I eat or drink anything. It’s the type of burp that would makes sailor blush! Very strong and forceful and I’m not able to hold it in. Very embarrassing! I never use to even be able to burn if I tried.Oh. And I have also vomited up in my mouth a few times for no apparent reason.
And I guess now that I’m writing this I’m wondering if the change that occurred in my voice last summer might also be connected. Is this what acid reflux does? Do you think maybe it’s that? I don’t have any burning in my chest though and I thought that was what occurred with acid reflux. Anyway, thoughts on what I can do to control the burbs. It’s gotten to the point that I cannot eat or drink in front of anyone. Thanks
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Simethecone and Omeprazole

Detailed Answer:

The burps could be due to gas emitted by the undigested food. Acid reflux can also cause such burps, but lesser without burning or squeezing pain. Vomiting is due to indigestion. Voice change can be ignored now. If it requires that can be considered an added symptom and investigate further. For now I would suggest to take Phazyme/Simethicone tablet thrice a day before food for two days.

Acid reflux can be tested if it helps by taking Prilosec OTC early in the morning for a week. If Prilosec helps the symptoms, then the current symptoms can be due to reflux as well. We do not see reflux in active fit individuals unless they have really starchy or carbon rich food.

Take care!

Dr. Suma Parinam,
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam