What causes discomfort around neck area?
Surgery is the likely treatment of choice in your case
I understand your query and concern.
A distance greater than 3 mm usually indicates Atlantoaxial instability/AAI with possible injury to transverse cervical ligament.
In most cases the injury is purely ligamentous and is unlikely to heal.
Therefore these injuries are always treated through surgery with posterior C1-C2 FUSION.
Posterior cervical spinal fusion can successfully treat all symptomatic cases in AAI with ligamentous injury.
If CT scan revealed a bony avulsion injury as a source of failure,a trial of halo bracing(non surgical) may be tried.
Hence I advise you to have a Confirmatory CT scan of the area before validating the above results.
Post your further queries,if any.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes swan neck deformity
- What causes tightness in neck
- What causes turkey neck
- What causes swollen glands neck
- What causes spots on neck
- Chronic neck discomfort causes
- What causes black neck
- What causes constant neck pain
- Experiencing discomfort between neck and shoulder what is causing this
- What can cause neck pain