What causes difficulty in sleeping and dry throat while on Zpac, Mucinex and Sudafed?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Aug 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have been taking a Zpac (1dose) since yesterday and 1200 mg. Mucinex coupled with Sudafed to fight severe congestion the past few days. I have been unable to sleep at all the last three days because of a severe dry throat that wakes me up suddenly after a few minutes. I'm exhausted,at my wits end and need to sleep badly. What can I do?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nebulizer with steroids

Detailed Answer:

As you explain the history i agree with your current treatment fully.

If you were my patient i would add in the treatment inhalers with steroids like Budesonide twice per day which will help you to improve the congestion of the nose and the airways. You will feel better again soon.

I wish a fast recovery for your.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
As the night has progressed, I am experiencing fluid buildup as I try to relax and fall asleep. This causes me to wake suddenly and cough do what violently almost to the point of vomiting. This causes a rapid pulse increase and is quite scary. Could this be heart related?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
continue discussion

Detailed Answer:
Hi

As you explain it seems like a gastric reflux.

For avoiding it try to sleep with two pillows.

Dr. Jnikolla,
Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng