What causes difficulty grasping with pain in the hands and wrists?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Lump
Question: I was snow blowing Thursday night and the next morning I began to have pain in my hand and wrist, it has got progressively worse and the pain woke me up this morning. I can move my fingers without any problem but I cannot grasp anything when I apply pressure to my back of my hand it hurts and I feel some numbness in my hand now.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Due to tendonitis.

Detailed Answer:
The pain in hand and fingers and on gripping is suggestive of tendonitis.
You need to give it some rest for a while, use hot fomentation twice a day and local ointment for pain relief. Avoid gripping and lifting objects altogether. Keep it in most comfortable position or use a splint/crepe bandage most of the time (including at night) for best results. Watch for worsening of symptoms like increase in pain, appearance of swelling and tingling numbness in fingers. If you get any of these, visit your physician and get a check up done followed by investigations like X ray or MRI.

It looks like it will resolve on its own in a couple of days. Do not take medications unless absolutely necessary.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal