Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes cloudy urine with odor?

Question
Hi – I just started having cloudy urine that smells different than normal and my bladder doesn’t feel like it’s empty after urination. I don’t hurt or have any other symptoms. Any idea of what it could be?
Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems like a urinary tract infection.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HealthcareMagic.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

The symptoms you are describing seems like a urinary tract infection.
You will need to start an antibiotic as soon as possible because the infection spreads in the kidneys quite fast and it may damage them.

In order to take the antibiotic, you will need to see a local doctor who can prescribe it. You can use one that generally works in UTI, or consider getting a urine culture and take the antibiotic according to the result.

It is important that you drink a lot of fluids and empty the bladder very often.

If worse or not better, I would recommend seeing a local doctor.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Follow-up: What causes cloudy urine with odor? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for the information! It makes sense. Is Clindamycin a good antibiotic for a UTI? It's what I've taken for other things (dental, etc.) when I've been ill.

Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not an antibiotic preferred for UTI.

Detailed Answer:

No clindamycin is not particularly one of the antibiotics that it is recommended in cases of UTI, but if you are sensitive to it and if you have no other choices, then it is better then not using nothing. That is why I recommend repeating the urine culture.

Kind regards,
Dr. Papaqako