What causes brown discolouration of the nail?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: for doctor rovena murati

hope you will be fine. i could not send you the picture of my foot nail which i was discussing in may last question because i was very much busy. now kindl check the attached picture . and kindly give me reply of my concerns considering this picture also. and one more thing is i am having this mark near since last one and half month.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:
Hello again XXXXXXX

Hope you are doing better.

I evaluated the picture you sent.It indicates clearly a brown discoloration of the nail.It can be a small subungual hematoma,due to a minor injury.It is not related to HIV and it is not a sign of it or a sign of Diabetes.
It can also be just a benign discoloration of the nail.I would suggest to monitor it and if it increase in size,changes in color (becomes darker),or persist you should see a doctor to examine it closely just to make sure it is nothing.

The most serious cause for dark discoloration in nails is subungual melanoma ,which is a type of skin tumor.
Right now you don't need to worry.It doesn't seem to be of concern but if this mark persist or changes color,size ,it requires evaluation.
So for now just observe it.

Hope it helps.

Dr.Rovena

Follow up: Dr. Rovena Murati 4 minutes later
but doctor its already from last one and half month. is it normal to have such period ?
its not changing .. but still present
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

I can understand your concern but even small subungual hematomas due to minor injury take time to heal completely.
If this discoloration in your nail doesn't seem to go away in the next weeks or it changes in color (becomes darker) and in size , consult a physician to examine it closely.
It doesn't seem to be of concern but if it is still there in few weeks, it would be a good idea to get it checked just to be sure.

Dr.Rovena
Follow up: Dr. Rovena Murati 4 hours later
doctor so means that in a worst case still its not related to hiv? from last 2 month i was very much out stress and anxiety of hiv. because i was trying to convince myself that nothing is there. but this mark was irritating because giving many thoughts.. one more thing i dont have any mark on any of my nail.. only this thumb nail is problem.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:

This mark on your nail is not related to HIV.Most likely it is just subungual hematoma due to a minor injury.
Just observe it and if it is still there after few weeks ,get it checked with a doctor just to be sure it is nothing.

Dr.Rovena