question-icon

What causes blood in the urine?

Posted on Thu, 14 Jun 2018
Question: I carried wood upstairs all day and when I went to the bathroom after there was a trace of blood in my urine.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
can occur with strenuous activity

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Blood in the urine is called hematuria.

In general, isolated hematuria (no other alarming symptoms and signs), does not usually requires treatment.

Strenuous exercise is one of the known causes of hematuria. This means that repeatedly having to carry wood upstairs could have precipitated the blood in your urine.

You can monitor for now but if it continues beyond 24-36 after you have rested or it becomes more severe, then you should be seen.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James