What causes air discharge from vagina when pregnant?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Mon, 20 Oct 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 15 weeks pregnant and today when having a bowel movement i felt like there was air in my vagina i have discharge but it felt somethin was comin out ive felt like that all day I am constipated
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely it is due to vaginal secretions.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

I read carefully your query and understand your concerns.

There are some possibilities:
1) The first possibility is that you just have the feeling of bubbles/air in your vagina but in real the air isn't passing through your vagina.
In this case it is just a feeling.
It might be due to secretions in your vagina.This is common in pregnant women .
If you are having a white or yellow discharge with bad odor ,most likely you have an vaginal infection and the feeling of air in your vagina it is related with these secretions.In this case you need to consult your doctor.

2) If you are really passing gas from the vagina when you strain defecate.
In this case there are 2 possible options:one is that air can enter into vagina during intercourse or other activities and when you strain the rectal muscles to defecate ,the muscles of vagina can strain too and this can cause air to come out.
This is completely normal and you don't need to worry.
The other option is that you have a tiny communication between rectum and vagina that allows air to pass from rectum to vagina.This is called recto-vaginal fistula and can happen if you If you have had a baby and had a deep vaginal tear - particularly into the rectum or if you had an episiotomy during delivery.
In this case you should consult your OB-GYN doctor.
If this is your first baby or if you haven't had any surgery in that part then this option is excluded.

Hope it was of help.
Let me know if you have other questions or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to assist you further.

Kind Regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati